Black Sesame Seed Brittle
Simple Black Sesame Seed Brittle Recipe
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup roasted black sesame seeds
- 4 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- Pinch salt
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat.
- Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until uniformly mixed. Cook until mixture bubbles steadily. It will first look like there is crystallized sugar on top and like it won't get smooth, but give it time and using a clean wooden spoon or spatula, stir occasionally, until it turns dark golden brown (at least 305°F on a candy thermometer) and, this is important) there are absolutely no crystallized white spots left (use the spoon to stir to break any up!).
- Quickly, mix the white and black sesame seeds and stir in salt and the sesame seeds
- Spread out into a thin even layer in a baking sheet, about 1/8-inch to 1/4-inch thick.
- Cool for about 15-30 minutes.
- Tap gently with a mallet or knife to break it into pieces.
- Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.